Chanaka is a partner in HFW’s Energy & Resources Group. He joined HFW (London) in 2002 and has been permanently based in HFW (Singapore) since 2005. He is a qualified English lawyer and Singapore lawyer.
Chanaka has over 18 years experience in the drafting, advising and negotiating various offshore, oil and gas project contracts, in particular the following.
- EPC / EPCIC / newbuild contracts for various jack ups (including CJ70s), semi-submersibles, FPSOs and various other offshore support vessels.
- Bespoke contracts for FPSO owners for: repair and refurbishment of FPSO on a time and material basis with shipyard; refurbishment and movement of turret with shipyard; and conversion, lease and operation of FPSO with oil major.
- Bespoke contracts for shipyards for the following FPSO projects: EPC contract for conversion works (partially completed hull, which shipyard had acquired from insolvent owner) with a new owner; pre-conversion works contract; and various general repair works.
- Advising FPSO owner and operator over 3 year construction period in respect of minimising risk and drafting multiple addenda to the EPC contract. Advise included assessing merits of processing capacity disputes between charterer / owner / shipyard, arising under both the FPSO lease and EPC agreements.
- Design, construction and the long term charter of a sea floor production support vessel.
- Charter documents with oil majors and operators for various offshore vessels, to include FPSOs, FSOs, FLOTELs, Seismic Vessels, dredging vessels and PSVs.
- Logistics contracts.
- Design (including FEED and Pre-FEED) and related services agreements.